Anti-abuse march stopped

The Diocese of Rome (2) - Comment on 2010 November 3 (4)

Website: countdown4us.com
Home | Comments | Creation | Redemption Period | Miscellaneous
Home > Comments > 2010 > Comment on 2010 November 3 (4)

2008 | 2009 | 2010 |

2010 November 3 (4)
Survivors of clergy sex abuse march to the Vatican. Read more:

Anti-abuse march stopped

Italian paramilitary police blocked a boulevard leading to the Vatican to prevent a march by about 100 survivors of clergy sex abuse from reaching St Peter’s Square, but later allowed two protesters to leave letters from the abused at the Vatican’s doorstep.

The two also left a dozen stones near the obelisk in St Peter’s Square yesterday to mark a symbolic path so other survivors might know they have company in their suffering.

The candlelit protest was the first significant demonstration in the shadow of the Vatican by people who had been raped and molested by priests as children, and organisers said it would be repeated until the Vatican takes decisive action to ensure children are safe.

“Today what began as quiet whispers are whispers no more,” organiser Gary Bergeron told the crowd, which included about 55 deaf Italians from a notorious Catholic institute for the deaf in Verona where dozens of students say they were sodomised by priests.

 

2008 | 2009 | 2010 |

For an overview of this website and for access to the individual webpages go to:
Site Map

The web address of this webpage is:
http://www.countdown4us.com/en02/en022010154.htm