Vatican Declined to Defrock U.S. Priest Who Abused Boys.
Home | Comments | Creation | Redemption Period
Home > Comments > 2010 > Comment on 2010 March 25 (2)
2010 March 25 (2)
According to a survey the abuse scandal has let the confidence of the German citizens in the pope and the Catholic Church fall apart dramatically. Read more:
Today, on the 25th of March 2010, I again got something about the spectacle of which Bertha Dudde's prophecy B.D. NR. 5004 of 21st November 1950 says, "the world will experience a spectacle . . . and then you are only to pay attention to what you hear, for this will give you insight into many things."
Here now follow headings and news and excerpts of news which I found today and which describe this spectacle:
Vatican Declined to Defrock U.S. Priest Who Abused Boys.
Top Vatican officials, including the future Pope Benedict XVI, did not defrock an American priest who molested as many as 200 deaf boys, even after warnings from several bishops, church files show.
The Predator Priest Who Got Away.
The Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy admitted he sexually abused deaf boys at his boarding school for 22 years. Victims tried for more than three decades to bring him to justice, but documents show that the church neither defrocked him nor referred him for prosecution.
Abuse Scandal’s Ripples Spread Across Europe
German prosecutors are weighing criminal charges against a priest suspected of molesting children, and a bishop accused of mishandling abuse allegations in Ireland resigned.
The fallout from the sexual abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church settled across Europe on Wednesday, as prosecutors said they were weighing criminal charges against a priest suspected of molesting children in Germany, and Pope Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of a bishop accused of mishandling allegations of abuse in Ireland.
The possibility of criminal charges emerged from new accusations against a priest at the center of the child-molesting scandal rocking the church in Germany. On Wednesday, church officials in Munich said the priest, the Rev. Peter Hullermann — whose transfer in 1980 to an archdiocese led at the time by Benedict, then Archbishop Joseph Ratzinger, has drawn the pope himself into the nation’s child abuse controversy — had been accused of molesting a minor as recently as 1998.
The latest revelation comes as church officials in northern Germany say they have “credible evidence” of at least two other cases of sexual abuse committed by Father Hullermann in the 1970s, adding to a trail of accusations that suggest a pattern of abuse over two decades. During that time, church officials repeatedly transferred Father Hullermann to new parishes and allowed him to work with children, even after a 1986 conviction for sexually abusing boys.
Father Hullermann has not returned repeated calls and hung up without comment when reached briefly on Wednesday.
In Ireland, Bishop John Magee, whose resignation was accepted by the pope on Wednesday, issued a statement of apology. In 2008, an investigation by a church panel into allegations in Cloyne found that Bishop Magee had failed to respond to accusations of abuse and that policies to protect children were severely lacking, setting off calls for his resignation.
“As I depart, I want to offer once again my sincere apologies,” said Bishop Magee, who had served as private secretary to three popes. He added, “To those whom I have failed in any way, or through any omission of mine have made suffer, I beg forgiveness and pardon.”
Bishop Magee’s was the first resignation the pope accepted since issuing a long-awaited letter to Irish Catholics last weekend apologizing to victims of sexual abuse and expressing “shame and remorse.”
Yet Benedict’s letter did not call for any church leaders to be disciplined, feeding a growing sense of anger in Ireland. Many Catholics there are demanding that the leader of the Irish church, Cardinal Sean Brady, resign over his role as a young priest in the 1970s in urging two children to sign secrecy agreements and not to report abuse.
Benedict’s letter followed two scathing Irish government reports last year revealing decades of sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children and a widespread cover-up. The findings have shaken the Irish church to its core; some fear it has lost a generation to the crisis.
Bishop Magee’s resignation accompanied a steady drumbeat for more church leaders to step down. Beyond Bishop Magee, four other Irish bishops implicated in the government reports for failing to protect children have offered to resign, but Benedict has accepted only one’s offer.
Nor has Benedict addressed the German scandal directly. So far, no cases have emerged from the two-year period when Father Hullermann worked at St. John the Baptist Church in Munich and Benedict was archbishop. But accusations have now surfaced at every other stop between Father Hullermann’s ordination in 1973 and his criminal conviction in 1986, and during a later assignment in 1998.
In a statement on Wednesday, the Munich archdiocese said the most recent potential victim had contacted the church. “The likely victim was a minor at the time,” the statement said, noting that the case had been referred to the prosecutor’s office.
“We are currently investigating the circumstances of the case,” said Eduard Mayer, the head of the prosecutor’s office handling the matter.
Church authorities have also been alerted to two previously unknown potential victims in the northern town of Bottrop. “We have two tip-offs that are so conclusive that we must proceed under the assumption that these incidents took place,” said Ulrich Lota, spokesman for the diocese in Essen, where Father Hullermann was ordained, confirming that in both cases the victims were boys.
Father Hullermann was abruptly transferred from Bottrop to Essen in 1977, but, according to Mr. Lota, there are no references in his file to abuse from that time.
Two years later, three sets of parents told the priest in charge of Father Hullermann’s new church that he had abused their children, prompting his transfer to Munich for therapy, where he was returned to parish duties.
After just over two years in Munich he was transferred once again, this time to the nearby town of Grafing. There, he abused several boys, leading to his conviction in 1986, which resulted in a suspended sentence of five years’ probation and a fine.
He then spent one year working in a nursing home before he was sent to a parish in Garching.
On Tuesday, Cardinal Friedrich Wetter, the archbishop at the time of Father Hullermann’s transfer to Garching, asked victims and their families to forgive him for allowing the priest to transfer to there during his tenure. “I am now painfully aware that I should have made a different decision at the time,” said Cardinal Wetter, who stepped down as archbishop in 2007.
Wolfgang Reichenwallner, the mayor of Garching, where Father Hullermann worked for 21 years after his 1986 conviction, said that the apology had come “awfully late” and that town officials had not been informed about the priest’s repeated transgressions.
Cardinal Wetter said he had “overestimated a person’s ability to change and underestimated the difficulties of therapeutic treatment for people with pedophile tendencies.”
The Munich archdiocese, in its initial statement on Father Hullermann’s case this month, said “the statements of the treating psychologist” were decisive in his return to parish duties.
But Dr. Werner Huth, the psychiatrist who treated Father Hullermann from 1980 to 1992, said last week that from the very outset he had repeatedly warned church officials not to allow the priest to work with children ever again.
Citizens get even with church and pope.
Toleration, cover-up, silence – now the punishment follows for the behaviour of the Catholic Church with regard to the black sheep from their own stable. Germans withdraw confidence in it and in the pope. Confessing no longer helps.
Pope demands punishment of the guilty.
Chancellor wants thorough clearing up:
Merkel demands truth in abuse scandal.
Chancellor Angela Merkel has stepped in the discussion about newer and newer cases of abuse and demanded a thorough clearing up of the accusations. The abuse of children and protégés is a despicable crime, said the CDU chairman on Wednesday in the Bundestag. In the meantime the Catholic Church announced that the pope will turn this week to the victims.
According to a survey the abuse scandal has let the confidence of the German citizens in the pope and the Catholic Church fall apart dramatically. A Forsa survey on behalf of the “Stern” shows that only 17 per cent still trust the Catholic Church and only 24 per cent the pope. At the end of January still 29 per cent had shown unbroken trust in the church and 38 per cent in Pope Benedict.
For an overview of this website and for access to the individual webpages go to:
The web address of this webpage is: